Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Holy Week & Sewing, What's the Connection, You Ask?

Sew, a change from knitting and embroidery and home dec. Let's talk for a minute about sewing.....

I shopped today.............

And if you've been paying attention, I've said I wasn't going to do that............

But it all started when I read an awesome post on the Living Proof Ministries blog yesterday (see it here); and I couldn't help but post a comment. (Okay, I wasn't trying not to-as a matter of fact, I post comments a lot now, because I know what it's like to wonder if anyone is reading, whether anyone's lurking, whether anyone's connecting....) It was about Easter traditions and memories. And I realized I had done nothing to prepare for Easter. Although, I'd love to have a new Easter frock every year, I don't spend the money unless I have to. And by have to, I mean, have I outgrown everything pretty and decent I own? The answer is yes, not that I'm bigger than last year, but I can't even remember what I wore to make do last year....

So this is why I'm excusing myself from the stash moratorium. I went fabric shopping today. Just Walmart in Scarborough, and JoAnn's in Portland. And here is what I found...
The 4 fabrics above, and below are 2 chiffon-y prints and 2 solids. The lighter print is from Walmart, 58", and only $2.44/yd. I'll use it for the short-sleeved 2-piece dress on the pattern. The dark chocolate print is the Easter dress material; I'll make it into the long dress with the 3/4 flared sleeves. However, these fabrics are too sheer to wear unlined, but rather than an attached lining, I'll make a slip/underdress with the taupe and the pink. (See the long sleeveless version of the dress? It's pink on the pattern envelope) I'll make the pink right away for Easter. The beauty is both prints look lovely over both solids!
For fun, I'll show you the other fabrics I found. I wish these photos had come out better, still on the learning curve with DigCam. Both of these fabrics are lightweight sheer polyester georgette, like the prints above (I called them chiffon, but maybe I meant georgette). They could be used for dresses in a similar fashion, lined or with a separate underdress/slip.

Now, these are more home dec. The pale blue solid is more of a mint, and is a sheer, like for under a valance in the dining room. I have some already in the stash, not even sure if they match..... The red gingham was so cheap, and all that was left in red, so I had to get it (2.25 yds for <$4.00). I've been wanting to try my hand at smocking and ric-rac embellishment on retro-style aprons, and my kitchen is red (and begging for white trimming and accents, but that's another post). And finally that blue lattice/pink rose is so vintage-looking.....perfect for.well, I'm not sure, I think it needs to age further in my stash..........The best among these is on the bottom, kind of a homedec herringbone, in lovely soft turquoise and chocolate......not exactly sure what it's destined for....seat cushion covers (very small swatch, though). There's also a big hunk of yellow fleece, so sunshine-y, plain white flannel (I have a nightgown that needs modifying), and a white shiny polyester fabric shot through with a little glitter-y something or other. I have ideas for fabrics like that, but I'll go into that another time....

No comments: