Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Historic New England


Oh, I’ve had such a wonderful day!  I took a day off work to meet a college friend who lives in New Hampshire.  We chose a spot on the Maine-N.H. border – South Berwick to be exact.DSCN1360
Historic New England (formerly known as The Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities) has 3 properties in South Berwick, but only one was open today:  The Hamilton House.  So that’s where we met, and took the tour, before having lunch (an amazing lunch) at the Pepperland Café.  This fabulous restaurant is across the street from another Historic New England property, the Sarah Orne Jewett House.  Do you know the name?  I know it, but I don’t know if one would if one hadn’t read Country of the Pointed Firs for their New England Literature class (sprinkled in with Emerson, Thoreau, Dickinson and Frost).DSCN1365
On the tour, guests are not permitted to take photos inside the house.  But, oh did I have an itchy shutter-release finger.  The house, built in 1785-6, was home for Hamiltons, then Goodwins, before being bought and restored by the Tyson ladies of Boston.  They must have had significant resources at their disposal, and worked hard to restore it to the grandeur of its early 19th-century life. DSCN1387 They added gardens and used the house as a summer home, wintering in Boston, and ultimately leaving the house and garden and much of the furnishings to the Society, I think they said in the 1940’s.  Do see the photos of the interior on the website.
DSCN1361
We strolled in the garden before and after the tour, enjoying balmy breezes off the Salmon Falls River.
DSCN1388
So, I’ll share with you some shots of the lovely gardens.  In the picture below, I have my back to the house, and you can see a little cottage.  Apparently, this was situated in N.H., and was to be demolished.  But the Tyson ladies had it moved.  This garden area used to be the location of a decrepit barn, which they obviously removed.  By placing the cottage among the gardens, they had a little place for seclusion, or for entertaining.  Currently, the docents have some office space in there, and they begin the tour there.DSCN1362
The cottage has a little garden all its own.  (And I didn’t adjust the color on these morning glories!!)DSCN1372
DSCN1367
Apparently, it was a common practice to use a millstone as a paver in gardens, and the Tysons collected no less than 14 for their gardens.  I photographed many of them, but I’ll spare you.
DSCN1377
You probably recognize the pineapple as a colonial symbol of hospitality.  I read (I think on the Colonial Williamsburg website), that when a sea captain came home from exotic places, a pineapple was displayed prominently (perhaps on the gate, or above the front door?) to indicate that he was receiving callers.
DSCN1373
This fountain is marble, and a treasured piece, and is replicated on a painted mural in the sitting room overlooking this garden.  (oops, I just realized I uploaded this photo twice, but it’s so pretty, I’ll leave it.)DSCN1362
There were some lovely cherubs cavorting here and there, see them hold up the bird bath?

DSCN1382
One feature of Georgian architecture is Palladian windows.  This one in the door below was installed in the little garden cottage to echo those in the main house.  There was a much larger one opposite it, which I wish I had photographed, but it was in shadow.  You could see that both were entirely the original glass, completely with ripples, bubbles and wavy distortion.  I was hoping that would show in the pic, but it doesn’t.
DSCN1385
DSCN1384Just a striking bouquet, even in shadow, in front of the large Palladian window that I didn’t get a picture of.
DSCN1378So sweet, I wish I had taken close-up pictures of the facial expression.
DSCN1390
Just a gratuitous view of an old New England barn, where one of the 3 full-time gardeners has just finished mowing.
After my visit with my friend, I drove and drove all around the hilly farmland, enjoying rustic pastoral views at every turn.  Farmers’ Markets, antique shops, and PYO (pick-your-own)  apple orchards.  In all my years here, I have never picked apples.  Everybody always asks:  “Have you picked your apples yet?”  And for years, I would shrink guiltily, and say vaguely, “No, not yet…”, and silently wonder if I should feel ashamed of not harvesting the bounty allotted to me.  I’ve since gotten over it.

6 comments:

acorn hollow said...

We lived in South Berwick before we made the move to northern NH.
I know sara and I have read one of her books.
looks like a great day. the weather was sure beautiful
Cathy

Lorrie said...

What a wonderful place to spend a day. Country of the Pointed Firs is on my bookshelf - such a quiet book, full of great characters.

The problem with picking apples is that then you have to do something with them. I have a box in my garage that's still half full and I've made all the applesauce we need, and more. Guess I'll have to move onto pies.

Diane Simmler said...

Or slice and freeze the apples for smoothies if that's your thing! I too stopped going to orchards when the kids got too old for the little tyke field trips...

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I am swooning over every single element in this post. Lovely!

Ophelia said...

I'm just going to come out and say it, since nobody else will..."I HATE apple picking." What better way to emphasize the stature with which I was not blessed? Add to that the mosquitoes, and well, no thanks. I'll just buy a sack of Macouns in this here little shack where other people have bagged them just how I like them. And while I'm at it, their pies really are better than mine, and look! They're all made up and ready for me!

Can do mom said...

Such a lovely day and you've even captured much of it with photos! Lovely!

I thank you for the recommendation of The Country of the Pointed Firs. I've downloaded it (for free!) on my Nook. I'm looking forward to taking a look at it.

BTW, I may be odd but I do enjoy picking apples. We've got a few trees on our land and so does my mom, next door. I like climbing up and grabbing nature's bounty. Yum!