Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

Enchanted Cottage

Well, the pattern is actually called "Honeymoon Cottage" and I have finished the one and only one I will do! I immediately took a picture as it is going into this evening's mail. The object lesson for this pattern is "Read the directions all the way through". A couple of days ago, I complained that it would have too many holes and you could burn fingers trying to use it. I had made 2 of the rooves and 2 of the front walls thinking I would make only 2, for Mother's Day, with a felt liner and calico backing. Well, that didn't happen - on the way to finishing one of them, I discovered a small paragraph at the end, which began "Repeat Roof and Wall. Sew to Front, inserting Chimney between 2 Roof pieces on left side." And so, here's the finished project, and I won't be doing it again. With all the crochet pieces and parts made, it took me almost 5 hours straight to do all the hand sewing and embroidering the little flowers. I know that seems impossible, but really it did.
And for contrast, here's our Enchanted Cottage. I got a few passing raindrops on me when I was out taking these pictures. The Spring rains that promise the blooms. I have been watching these tulips and hoping for the best. I put the bulbs in 3 and 1/2 years ago. The first year - not a single bloom! There had been a ridiculous warm-up in February which woke everything up, only to kill everything when we went back to the usual cruelly prolonged Winter. Snow and ice everywhere. The crocuses I had put around the tulips were completely destroyed for good, never blossomed, never recovered. I had learned that a lot of bulb flowers really never bloom as well in successive years, but these tulips are proving to be an exception. Last year, they looked okay, but this year they look the best yet so far. We are going to have a warm (for us) and sunny weekend, so I'm guessing they will peak on Mother's Day. I'll watch them and try to get pictures.

You may not be able to tell, but the blooms should be purple & gold. I chose them to celebrate two things: my bright purple front door and Cheverus school colors! (Remember Ian's scarf?)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Love your tulips in your front-door color and your little crocheted house!! I like it very much!

Wish I had one of The Katillac Shack!

Thanks for visiting!! Hope you join in on the conversation...we love new sweet creative friends!