Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...or CMBG, Part 5

I should have been named "Mary", but as far as I know, that was never on the list of possibilities.
I remember, when young, loving so many different kinds of flowers, and being even a little indignant of the exalted position of the rose.  
I had the same reaction to diamonds, and gold jewelry, satin and lace and eventually champagne.....  Perhaps I was a champion of the underdog?  It just bothered me to have the beauty of non-roses be overlooked, even slighted.  I made it up to violets and daisies by cherishing them all the more, while secretly wishing they had fragrance like the lush lilacs outside my parents' bedroom window. 
While Lady's Mantle can stand on its own, it makes a gorgeous backdrop for ....
...Pink Roses!
 Eventually, my mother began to improve the row of arbor vitae and yew shrubs across the front of our ranch house by ordering roses from Jackson & Perkins.  First, the catalogs would come to the house in late January, along with Burpee's, Gurney's and Park Brothers.  J&P knew how to win me.  Their catalog came in a sealed envelope, which when opened released the glorious fragrance of their latest rose.  Over the years, Mum planted some lovely roses*:
Peace
Sterling Silver
Fragrant Cloud (!)
Irish Gold
Abraham Lincoln
Angel Face

are the names I remember easily, but there were more.  All so lovely, how could I not love them?

I was so happy to discover that Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens had a Rose Arbor.

And no doubt in years to come, there will be climbing roses making use of the wooden structure.
For now, clematis is doing its best.
And now, having allowed myself to fall head-over-heals in love with roses, I admit to having found the rose garden a bit sparse and actually diluted by companion plantings, however lovely in their own right. I hope to see, in time, an ever-growing variety of types and colors, and intoxicating perfumes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or 

rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

-----Abraham Lincoln

* The images of the roses were borrowed from various sources, as identified in Google searches.

1 comment:

CELESTINO ARTURO said...

But Dr. Itua, Traditional Herbal Practitioner in Africa, has cured HIV which is extracted from some rare herbs. It is highly potential to cure AIDS 100% without any residue. Dr Itua herbal medicine has already passed various blogs on how he uses his powerful herbs to heal all kinds of diseases such as. Herpes, HIV,,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer, Diabetes, Hepatitis,Hpv,Weak ErectionLyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroqquinolone Toxicity,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,Dementia.,Wart Remover,Cold Sore, Epilepsy, also his herbal boost immune system as well. I'm telling this because he uses his herbal medicine to cure me from hepatitis B and HIV, which I have been living on for 9 months now with no side effects. Herbal Medicine is just as good when drinking it although i have to use the restroom after drinking it which I don't really care about because i just want to get the virus out of my body, I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone sick out here to contact Dr Itua with this following information.Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com /
Whatsapp Or Call...+2348149277967.
He might be late to respond because he is always busy with patents, but he will surely get back to you with a positive response.