Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Late Sunday Afternoon at the Quincy Market

As we drove through Boston on Sunday, I was just not ready with the camera, and I wish I had been.  I don’t know how many message screens we saw all with the same message:  “THANK YOU ALL”   alternating with “WE ARE ONE BOSTON”.  I wasn’t expecting it, and I choked up each time I saw one.  We passed under an overpass in Medford (where bombing victim Krystle Campbell lived) which was covered with American flags.  Later, a banner strung up on an overpass really grabbed me; it read in a child-like font on a brightly-colored background:  “no more hurting people.  peace.”  Wow.
DSCN2443
Today I watched the Memorial for MIT police officer Sean Collier on New England Cable News (necn.com), and I would highly recommend going to the website and listening to Joe Biden’s speech.  So moving.  And James Taylor singing. And the bagpipers playing Amazing Grace.  It was very cathartic for me, and I believe it was a very important part of the recovery of the many people there or watching on TV.
Okay, I really do have other things to talk about, I promise.
Jeff and Sean on the right.

On Sunday, after the Lacrosse game we made our way to the giant food court that is Quincy Market.  I took some pictures, but I really didn’t do the offerings justice.  I don’t know how many vendors there are, but I bet it could be 50.
DSCN2427
You walk right down a central aisle with counters on both sides.  There are deli-style offerings, various international cuisines including sushi, Indian cuisine, Mexican, Italian, traditional New England seafood, fruity smoothies and ice cream, delectable pastries, pizza, barbecue, I can’t remember it all.  .  
DSCN2428We were overwhelmed, and hungry as we were, it took a long time to make decisions. We wanted one of everything.  I took a couple of pictures, but they came out quite unappetizing.  I really wish I had taken pastry pictures.  At one of the counters, I got (to take home) a box containing a fruit éclair, a red velvet cupcake, an Oreo cannoli, and the best thing was a really decadent item called a lobster tail.   I had never seen one, and I’m going to see if I can find a recipe or something to help me describe it to you.  I’m pretty sure that that is all they serve in heaven.
DSCN2437
In the middle of the building are 2 levels of seating/standing for diners. There were families everywhere, chattering away in languages from all over.
DSCN2430
DSCN2432
DSCN2434By the time we finished eating it was well after 6 pm and apparently that is
DSCN2436when most of the vendors close up shop on Sundays. One vendor told me he was staying open a little longer to make up for Friday’s lost business building, running the length of it, are add-on glass enclosures. Therein are vendor carts full of art, gift items, and other engaging novelties, but they were when the city was under a “shelter-in-place” request. On each side of the almost all closed, so we couldn’t browse.
I tried to capture the message around the edge of the mezzanine, but if you can’t read it, it says:  “This building  has served the people of Boston as the central market since its dedication in August 1826.”    Why didn’t I take a picture of the rotunda?

DSCN2425The back of Faneuil Hall.
Quincy Market is directly behind Faneuil Hall, an important historic building.
DSCN2445
DSCN2449
As you can see, I had fun taking (too many) pics of Samuel Adams’ statue  in front of  FH (in inadequate light). There is a museum housed there, also closed at the time of our visit.  I provided a link for those of you interested in learning more about Samuel Adams.  Hint:  his legacy had nothing whatsoever to do with beer.
DSCN2423
We strolled around the building enjoying the atmosphere in the waning daylight.    There are benches everywhere, and you can imagine the scene on a sunny weekday at midday, when lunchers ranging from tourists to workers in the nearby Financial District and Government Center are enjoying their selections from the Market.
DSCN2450This drummer was dripping with sweat, as he gave an amazing performance to passersby.
 DSCN2451
He was very friendly and didn’t mind having his picture taken.  That is a frying pan sticking up out of the traffic cone, and was one of his improvised percussion instruments.

DSCN2452
It’s been ages since I’ve been to the area, so the huge statue of Kevin White (mayor of Boston 1970-1984) was new to me.  You can see it behind the drummer above.  When I first saw it, I assumed it was a Kennedy, but then I found the plaque on the ground identifying him.
I hope you enjoyed this little visit to a popular Boston landmark.

4 comments:

Dog Trot Farm said...

Thank you for the tour, I have not returned to Boston since the flower show last year. No matter the time of year Quincy Market is always busy. I did watch the funeral this afternoon and had a lump in my throat the entire time. Lets hope spring has arrived for real!!!Blessings, Julie.

acorn hollow said...

We try to go to the market when ever we are in Boston which is not as often thank goodness. It is within walking distance of Mass General a place I walked to when my husband was in the hospital.
Cathy

Lorrie said...

What a great tour. I've always wanted to visit Boston. One day I'll get out to the east coast.

Thimbleanna said...

Well, Miss Wendy, I hope the sadness of recent events is starting to life a little. It sounds like your trip to Boston was a help. It's such a beautiful city. I haven't been there in many years, and your post makes me want to return. Thanks for sharing the details of your trip!